CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Peru Update 7 - Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! (Two weeks late!)

Last week I rolled into my new summer schedule! (Here in Peru, summer is from December through February.) January through February I will be teaching in the summer school program 3 days a week and giving private English lessons on my days off. So far I have six students!


I passed a wonderful Christmas in Trujillo with my host family from 2012! We went to the beach, a water park, and ate our weight in Paneton! (the Peruvian version of fruitcake.) Above is a picture of the caballitos de totora (little reed horses) on San Pedro beach. Totora boats are small watercrafts made of reed (heavily insulated with the modern wonder of styrofoam) which are used by local fisherman. 


After Christmas I returned to Lima where I joined a group of young adults from my church in Kawaii, a beach campground several hours south of Lima. We pitched our tents and stayed for three days, swimming in the surf, climbing on the rocks, walking along the beach, eating in the mess hall, and playing Werewolf (an updated version of Mafia) in the lounge. 

On New Year's eve the beach was packed with hundreds of people setting off spectacular firework displays. After the countdown, everyone cheered and exchanged saludos (a hug and kiss on the cheek accompanied by a "Feliz Año!") It was a wonderful time of fellowship and I met lots of new friends. (In Peru you bypass "acquaintances" and skip straight to "friend." &#X1f60a )




After the social whirlwind of the holidays, it was nice to settle back into the mundane domestic routine of cooking, doing laundry, and studying. (And exercising off all that Paneton!) I even had time to do a little post-Christmas shopping and wander around Surco's Parque de la Amistad. (Friendship Park). It's a quaint park with a duck pond, a giant arch (above), a food court, vendors selling popcorn, candy apples, and snow cones, meandering paths, and a miniature train track with a series of bridges (I even saw one that was manufactured by the New York Bridge Company!)

Prayer Requests: 

- Self-discipline in my time management and also physically.
That I would trust in God's provision. (Although I have six students, the income is irregular.)

Praises:

- Good health & new friends.
- Finding six English students!

Bendiciones!

Catherine

0 comments: