CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Motherhood



Instead of silken china scarf,
Petal-soft touch of tiny arms.
Instead of gold and silver bands,
The precious clasp of baby hands.

Instead of roses’ musky scent,
The milky breath of sweet infant.
Instead of diamonds on my breast,
Sparkling tears adorn my chest.

Instead of empty marble halls,
The sound of laughter and little footfalls.
Instead of a priceless masterpiece,
Small hands create a bright motif.

Instead of rustling satin gown,
Daisy chains and a clover crown.
Instead of soothing symphonies,
The lisp of childish sympathies.

And would I trade my clover crown,
For diamonds and a satin gown?
No—for all the world, I never would
Renounce the joys of motherhood.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

How lovely! I look forward to, hopefully, one day experiencing those joys!

Denise said...

I add an intense "AMEN" to the sentiments in the poem here.... *sighs happily* I love motherhood, and it is a fulfilling and joyful path to walk!

Elly said...

Wow, I love this! Thank you so much for posting this :o)

Catherine said...

I'm glad you all enjoyed it. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm sharing this on my blog today, It's absolutely beautiful!
www.lessonsfromivy.com

Unknown said...

Did you write it or did you get it from somewhere else?

Catherine said...

Kasey,
I wrote this poem one day while I was babysitting for a lady in my church. I was sitting in the rocking chair rocking her baby to sleep and it just came to me, so after I put Sarah in her crib, I found a piece of paper and wrote it down. :)

Valerie said...

Oh, Catherine, this is a profound, beautiful poem. Please allow me to quote this on my blog, Quotes For A Mother's Heart. (http://quotesforamothersheart.blogspot.com)

I know it would bless my readers! They come hungry for beauty and encouragement. It would be fully attributed and linked to this post.

Either way, I am so thrilled to have discovered your blog! You are already an inspiration to me.

Catherine said...

Certainly, Valerie. I'd be happy for you to use my poem. :)

Valerie said...

Hi Catherine! Would you mind please emailing me at valerie@quotesforamothersheart.com?
I'd like to ask your permission to include your poem here that I quoted on Quotes For A Mother's Heart, in a quotes book for my personal use. I'm including a standard copyright sentence for all bloggers and authors. Please let me know how you feel about this! I can share all the details when you email me. Thanks so much!