CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cheesecake and Daffodils...

All week long I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of my favorite spring heralds. Almost every day saw me hiking through the woods to see if the buds had opened yet. After a week of warm rainy weather, I am happy to say that they are blooming in profusion over a square footage that astonishes me more each year. When we first moved here, the daffodils probably covered 10 x 10 foot square. Now their starry blooms easily spread across an entire acre.

I can't describe what it is about daffodils that makes me love them so much. They certainly don't have a particularly attractive fragrance, foliage or a graceful bloom. Perhaps it's the memories I associate with them or the fact that they are almost always the first flower to venture out in the spring. Whatever it is, other flowers don't hold a candle to them in my opinion. :)





I am also happy to announce that I have finally learned to make cheesecake. (Something that I've wanted to learn for a very long time!) A kind lady in our church offered to let mom and I come to her house and make one under her careful instructions. The one in the photo below is the first cheesecake that I have made by myself. A thin slice generously heaped with strawberries is to die for! Though this recipe is close to perfection already, I am eager to improve it and try different recipes as well. I am aiming for a thicker crust and a lighter center. (This particular recipe is extremely dense and rich!) However, I'm just happy that I have finally learned how to make one!!!




6 comments:

Hosanna said...

Cheesecake is awesome.... I have a recipe for key lime cheesecake with strawberry sauce.... I think I will have to make one soon.

Catherine said...

Mmm, key lime cheesecake sounds delicious! This recipe originally called for a tablespoon of lemon zest but I left it out because I don't like encountering little stringy pieces of lemon peel while I'm eating it. :P

Unknown said...

Your blog never fails to inspire and encourage me. :) Now I'm dying to make a cheesecake!

Caitlin said...

Oh man, I LOVE cheescake! In fact, I made one the other day. I guess it doesn't count though, because it was from a mix...but it was still really good. ;-) I made it for our St. Patrick's day dinner and put kiwi slices on top in the shape of a shamrock. It turned out pretty cute, and the kiwi flavor actually tasted pretty good with the cheesecake!

Caitlin said...

And I love daffodils too...but probably not quite as much as you do. ;-) They surprise me every year with how early they pop up.
I always think of that poem by Wordsworth: "I wandered lonely as a cloud..." I memorized it for school years ago and have loved it ever since!

Catherine said...

I didn't know they had cheesecake mix! That's good to know...Now I'm going to have to look up that poem. :)