CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 8, 2010

An Amazing Painter

Ever since I was introduced to his work, John William Waterhouse has undoubtedly been my favorite painter. Born in the 1850's, Waterhouse's work mainly focuses on Pre-Raphaelite themes from classic literature and mythology with a few sketches taken from his life in Europe. Below are some paintings he did of everyday things, which are some of my favorites.



The Flower Picker. I love the grace and femininity of his female subjects and the fact that they resemble real people instead of his definition of beauty.



I also love the way they're dressed. :) This one is Gathering Flowers in a Devonshire Garden.



Though he didn't do many of children, this painting, which he entitled Two Little Italian Girls, is brimming with mischief, and I love his slightly impressionistic brushstrokes.



Here is an example of a more Pre-Raphaelite theme. It's called At the Shrine and is suggestive of another painting he did called The Soul of the Rose. I immensely enjoy his paintings and would leap at the chance to see some of them in person.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Wow, those are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love the Flower Picker, too, because it's so realistic; it could be a photograph. I've never heard of this man. Thanks!

Donna