CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 21, 2010

Canning Adventures

Today, mom and I began our canning adventures. We finally harvested enough blackberries to make jam; now we just needed to pick which recipe to use. One recipe called for 5 cups of berries and 2 cups of sugar while another recipe called for 5 cups of berries and 7 cups of sugar! In our inability to choose, we finally decided to make a batch of each. I took the sugary batch and mom took the healthier recipe.



The raw material.



As our pastry cutter appears to have legs, I had to crush the berries with the bottom of a glass.



In a saucepan, I mixed the crushed blackberries, sugar, butter, and pectin.



Then we poured the mixture into jars and placed them on the rack for processing.



We boiled the jars for 10 minutes before removing them and allowing them to cool.



A very messy kitchen.



Mom cleaning up the very messy kitchen.



The finished product!



The total yield was 8 pints of jam. As soon as more blackberries get ripe, we're going to make freezer jam. I can't wait to see which batch tastes better!

4 comments:

Hosanna said...

Did you find you needed to remove any seeds? I had some family members complain about seeds in black berry jam and so recently I started using a food mill to remove some of the seeds.

Catherine said...

No, we left the seeds in. We don't have a food mill and I wouldn't know how to remove them without one. They were pretty seedy but hopefully that won't detract from the jam. We'll have to see...

Unknown said...

So how long before you find out which taste better?

Catherine said...

Mom and I are going to make the freezer jam tomorrow. :)