CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Cooking Confessions

People are always surprised to find out that I cook. I suppose it's something most normal teenagers don't do. After they get over their initial shock, they always ask the inevitable question. "Do you like to cook?" Then they're even more shocked when I tell them no. I like to eat. I like to wear pretty aprons. I like to see the happy looks on people's faces when I've made a good meal. But I don't like to cook.

I believe that cooking is an invaluable skill that every homemaker needs in her repertoire. Thus, I am trying to learn as much as I can before I go off to school. And it's not so bad. In the winter, cooking is almost pleasant. It's nice to be in the warm kitchen baking tasty breads and soups and washing the dishes in front of the frosty windows. But cooking in the summertime is another matter.

The oppressive humidity and blazing heat suck the energy and motivation right out of me. Not to mention what it does to my appetite. Whenever I get over-heated, I don't want to eat food or even be around it. The last place I want to be is in front of the hot oven making hot, greasy foods. So I have a bit of a dilemma. What are some good (preferably non-hot, non-greasy) summer foods? Do you have any favorites?

4 comments:

Hosanna said...

I was planning an upcoming post on this very subject! There are lots of such foods I make during the summer because of the heat, for one, and for another, we're always on the go until dark most days and I don't have time to cook a meal at supper time!

Catherine said...

I can't wait to read your post! :)

Unknown said...

Hmm... I must admit that I don't cook much, so my ideas are few...

Sometimes we bake or boil extra chicken and freeze it... then we can just thaw it later and use it in salads, etc.

Homemade pizza is pretty quick and easy (that is, after the dough is ready) and doesn't require standing over a hot oven for long periods of time.

Shepherd's Pie-- you can just use leftovers! Then again, you have to MAKE the leftovers at some point...... *sigh*

Well.... that's the extent of my semi-helpfulness.... =D

Catherine said...

Thanks, Hannah! Those are good ideas! :) I especially like the idea of freezing chicken to use in salads. Chicken salad is certainly cool and refreshing.