CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Tasty Turnips

This afternoon I harvested some turnips we planted to cook with dinner. (See post below.) After capping, washing, and dicing about 30 of them, I put them in a frying pan with a clove of garlic and half an onion and sautéd them in olive oil.



Once they were evenly coated with the oil, I started to season them. Heavily.



Among the spices I used were: garlic powder, onion powder, sage, marjoram, terragon, perfect pinch saltless seasoning, and table salt. I must confess that I know nothing at all about herbs and spices so my method is: if it smells like it will go with what I'm cooking, pour it in!



My mom, dad, and little sister were big fans, but my brothers and I weren't quite as taken. Even as heavily seasoned and salted as they were, I couldn't quite disguise the strong, turnip-ey flavor. The next time I cook them, I think I'll put them in a soup or serve them with some sort of meat stir-fry. If you're thinking of cooking turnips, unless you like the way turnips taste, I would definitely suggest serving them with or in something. :)

0 comments: