CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Father's Day

Recently, my dad has been very preoccupied and busy with his work. Whenever he is working on his laptop, I always try to encourage him by a kiss on the cheek or by telling him how much I love him and appreciate his working so hard for us. Sometimes I get a response, oftentimes I don't.

For awhile, I couldn't figure out why my dad wasn't acknowledging my expressions of love. That's when I realized, I was speaking to him in my love languages, not his. My love languages are physical touch and words of affirmation, but my dad expresses love through time spent and acts of service.

With this newfound knowledge, I've been thinking of ways I can honor him this Father's Day in his love language. After much pondering, I've come up with the following ideas:

-Mowing. We live out in the country and there is ALWAYS mowing to be done. By the time we finish mowing everything, it's time to mow again! My dad doesn't always have time between his job and his involvement in the church to get much done around the farm. So this weekend I have been mowing up a storm to get things looking nice for his return. (He's been out of town)

-Cooking. My dad loves to eat! One of his favorite movies is Ratatouille. Ever since he saw that movie he's wanted to try some Ratatouille (a Mediterranean vegetable dish) so this Friday night I am going to get out the special table cloth, break out the nice dishes and cook some delicious Ratatouille!

-Writing. Just in case my dad still doesn't get the message, I'm going to write him a letter expressing how much I love all the special memories he's given me over the years and appreciate the different ways he's served me.

What is your father's love language? Are you and your family doing anything special for Father's Day?

1 comments:

Mary said...

Thank you Catherine .. this is a great reminder.