CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 3, 2011

Damp Socks

Damp socks dry by the fire
As rusty autumn leaves drip
Like cider squeezed from apple hearts.
Licking tabby stops; stares
Shadows dart in fiery dance
I walk outside to gaze at melting stars.
Dawn breaks.
An empty hammock swings slowly in the fog.
I draw out words like thread through a needle
Knotting; halting; I untangle clotted thoughts.
Cozy leather chair and iced Italian cream
Dispel the restless knots away.
A candle flickers in the corner.
Phrases float like feathers through my brain.
I collect them and create a quilt of down
To wrap about my shoulders as the rain streams down the panes.
Kettle heats, then shaking shrieks
Atop the glowing coals.
The fire pops; the socks sizzle
And the thoughts come pouring out
Like water from a kettle
Like rain dripping from red leaves.
Gray clouds obscure the sun.
I pull the quilt above my head
And slowly slide to sleep.

2 comments:

Us: said...

Did you write this?! Its BEAUTIFUL!! :)

Catherine said...

This was an assignment for my poetry class that I thought I would post since it's about fall. I'm so glad you like it. :)