CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Resolutions vs. Life Changes

Let me paint you a picture. I am the type of person who hates working out. I am the type of person who rolls their eyes at gluten-free fanatics then goes to the Dollar General and binges on high-fructose corn syrup candy and yellow dyed snacks. However, due to some health problems I've battled in the past few years, I have had to make some life changes. For those of you looking to do the same, I thought I would share some of my more successful battle tactics with you.


1. Gradual changes

You don't do a P90X workout without warming up. You don't play a complicated game without a practice round. How can you expect to make a significant life change in one day after years of ingrained habits? For example, in November I eliminated dairy products from my diet; in December I eliminated gluten; in February I will be eliminating refined sugars. Can you imagine if I had attempted to eliminate all of these items from my diet at once? Ha.

2. Substitute

Sometimes you replace a habit with a habit, but if it's a healthier habit that's still a step in the right direction. Plan ahead so that when you're caught in the moment, a substitute is already in place. For sugar cravings at work, I keep sugarless gum and dried fruit on hand. Rather than sitting at a desk all day, I created a stand-up desk. Rather than playing on my phone during my lunch break, I take a walk around the building. These are all small examples of "subbing" that lead to an overall healthier lifestyle.   

3. Let go of the "all or nothing" mentality.

Expecting 100% perfection is setting yourself up for failure. Give yourself grace. It's okay to take a day off now and then. So when someone offers you homemade cinnamon rolls that they have slaved over for three hours, don't be that obnoxious person that says, "Oh, I'm on a diet." Eat the darned cinnamon rolls, then get back in the saddle. People are more important.    


1 comments:

Diwakar said...

Hello Catherine. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am glad to stop by your blog post which gives me an aprotunity to share with you a program our church in Mumbai, India has for the young and the adults from the West. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. we reachout to the poorest of proor with the love of Chrit to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the West to come to Mumbai to work with usduring their vacation time. We would love to have you come to MUMBAI with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have alife changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede@gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. looking forward to hear from you very soon.God's richest blessings on you.