CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Husband Hunting

As a teenager, I created a list of characteristics I desired in a future spouse. Between my journal's floral covers, I filled pages with physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual qualities. Reading that rose-colored list years later, I smile at some of the things I scribbled. Blue eyes, intelligent, loves animals, strong faith, a good dancer... While I still admire those traits, I've realized that a good husband is four things. When searching for a future spouse, I seek someone who will love, lead, provide and protect.

Lover 

I want someone who loves me unconditionally in spite of my flaws. "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her...In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies." --Ephesians 5:25 & 28

Leader 

I desire a man who values and considers my opinions, but ultimately has the courage to make wise, prayerful decisions regardless of my (or anyone else's) personal preferences. "For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body." --Ephesians 5:23

Provider 

While responsible finances are an important foundation for building a marriage, they are also an excellent litmus test of a man's character. If a man is selfless with his money, it indicates strong faith and a love for God that is stronger than a love for His gifts. "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." --Matthew 6:21

Protector 

As the spiritual leader of the family, the husband is responsible for protecting his wife not only physically but spiritually. "Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish." --Ephesians 5:25-26 

If I can find a man who embodies these four things, I will consider myself a blessed woman. But even if I never find him, I have a yoke-fellow who is my eternal sufficiency.

"For your Maker is your husband--the LORD Almighty is his name--the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth." --Isaiah 54:5

0 comments: