CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Peru Update 8 - Books, Beaches, & Bird Bombs

Things are getting back into full swing down here! Tuesday was our first full day back to school. Since the other American teacher left, I am in charge of leading the student body in the American national anthem and the three pledges (American Flag, Christian Flag, and the Bible--thank you, AWANA!) 


This year I have been paired with a different teacher, Ms. Veronica. (See photo above). She is a Peruvian who lived in the States for many years so we often jaw about all the things we miss (mainly food items and air conditioning). The healthy sheen you see on my face is sweat. It is summer time down here, which means 80-90 degree conditions with minimal or no air conditioning. In our large classroom there is one small air conditioning unit mounted on the wall and two fans. Every once in awhile, the electrical system overloads and the power shuts off. Needless to say, it can get a little warm at times.


On the bright side, week before last I took the GRE test at ICPNA (Instituto Cultural Peruano Norteamericano). By God's grace (and your prayers!) I got a 148 in Math and a 160 in Verbal (which is an 87 and 94 respectively). Considering I was getting 60's and 70's in Math and 80's in Verbal on the practice tests, my scores were pretty miraculous! Then on Saturday I took the Spanish Aptitude test and got a 93, which means my application to Wake Forest University is finally complete! (Hallelujah!)


After being holed up for a month studying, I have greatly enjoyed getting my social life back. Friday before last I attended a small Karaoke party with some friends from church (where much Michael Buble and Gloria Estefan was sung). Then on Saturday we went to the beach. I wasn't planning on getting in the water, but a bird poop bomb changed my mind. &#X1f609 

 
Last weekend I went with some of the teachers to TGI Friday's to celebrate our first week back to school. Their filet mignon, mashed potatoes, and broccoli with cheese tasted like home. Afterward we went to Tottus (the Peruvian equivalent of Wal-Mart). It appears "Wal-Mart runs" are an international pastime.

Since my test is over and school is back in session, I finally have time to apply to a ministry in our church called Doctores Marabarisas. It's a team of people that dress up as clowns and go to hospitals to cheer up sick people. In order to be accepted, I have to go through a psychological test, get some vaccines, and attend the trainings. If all goes well, I should be able to start by the end of March!

0 comments: