CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Life

This week I begin my long-awaited spring break! To keep myself from becoming too bored, I've been sifting through my project bag looking for various things to occupy my time. I found an old half-finished cross stitch project this week that I finished and framed. I started this cross stitch about six years ago.



I've also been doing some mending for my summer wardrobe. My grandmother gave me this lovely cotton skirt to wear, but it's a women's size 12. I have very slowly and tentatively started to take in the waist. I am still working on getting the waistband off--I had to use a seam ripper and I'm still only halfway finished.



Since sewing is not my strong point, I try to work slowly and thoughtfully so I don't mess it up or become frustrated. This skirt is very full with a high, fitted waistband, pleats, and decorative blue and silver stitching. It should turn out nicely if I don't ruin it in the process.



On a lighter note, it's definitely spring outside! I've been working some in my garden and my rosebushes are doing well. I planted a new hybrid tea called a "Queen Elizabeth" that has large, light pink blooms. I also dug up and transplanted several runners from my mom's lilac bush and they appear to be very happy. You can't see them in this picture but I planted them just to the left of those two chairs.



In the greenhouse my sweet alyssum are coming up nicely though nowhere near as fast as I'd like. I've decided from now on I'm simply going to buy plants from nurseries instead of raising them from seeds. It saves a lot of time, work, they generally do better, and it's only a few dollars more. Still, it's been a good experience.



I've also been doing a lot of reading in my free time. In the past two weeks I've read My Ántonia, Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, The Last of the Mohicans, and I'm working through A Young Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. So far it's very good.

Although my spring break is a lot longer than most people's (a week and a half) I know it'll fly by. Each day is precious because it's the last spring I'll be living at home for awhile, so I'm going to savor it while it lasts. Happy Spring!

0 comments: