CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 17, 2010

Home Ec. 101: Laundering

Back in the old days, ironing was a part of everyday life. After being washed, all clothes had to be freshly pressed before they could be worn. In addition to clothes, sheets, pillowcases, towels, curtains, tablecloths, and napkins also had to be ironed before use. Wrinkles upon one's person was considered poor taste. I wonder what our great-grandmothers would say if they saw the clothes people wear nowadays? In today's stores, clothes are made wrinkly on purpose!



I have been getting good practice on my brother's shirts. Some of them have been stuffed in his closet for years! The above picture was taken before I started ironing. On the table are (L-R) lint remover, iron, starch spray and ironing board.



This is after I ironed it. Our chandelier makes a good clothes hanger. ;) I have learned quite a bit about the anatomy of men's shirts after ironing ten of them. Though I used to think they all looked the same, I have come to find that there are many different styles. I have also found that it is better to start on the sleeves, proceed to the collar, and finish on the main part of the shirt than start on the main part because when I went to iron the collar and sleeves, I wrinkled the front and back of the shirt all over again. Although ironing is a lot of work, one thing is certain. There is nothing like a freshly starched and pressed shirt to make you feel neat and crisp! :)

0 comments: