CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Christian Formula

Growing up as a teen, I enjoyed a lot more freedom than some of my friends. I was expected to use my own judgment regarding movies, I started driving at 14 1/2, I enrolled in the community college at 16, and in my final years of highschool, the responsibility of homeschooling myself was mostly left up to me.

As I was exposed to more conservative views, I was attracted to that way of life. My type A personality loves the organization and security that's found in the rules and viewpoints of conservative living.

But one thing the Lord's been teaching me as I'm here at Liberty University is that there is no formula for Christian living. As Christians, we are no longer under the law, but under the grace and guidance of the Holy Spirit. Things like going to college, homeschooling, dating, wearing skirts, and working outside the home are personal convictions. There is no universal right answer. And that is frustrating to me.

Because it means walking a tightrope between two extremes. It means gray areas. It means constantly seeking the Lord's guidance. On one hand, I love the purity and wholesomeness of living a conservative life separate from the hustle and bustle of the world. On the other hand, I am called to be in and amongst the hustle and bustle of that very lost world.

I'm still struggling to prayerfully piece together my mosaic worldview. Balancing evangelistic zeal and Christian liberty with holy separation and scriptural obedience is a difficult enterprise. I'm far from having everything all figured out, but when I do I'll be sure to let you know. ;)

3 comments:

Debbie said...

This another outstanding post. I wish i thought as you do at your age. I was much older before the Lord opened my eyes.

I am skimming through your blog and would like to follow what you write. My daughter (She'll be 14 next month) would enjoy reading what wrote here.

God bless,
Debbie

Catherine said...

Mrs. Debbie,
I am so glad you stopped by. I actually didn't think like this until I went to a conservative Christian camp some years ago and saw the way conservative Christians lived. Everyone was so wholesome and sweet and modest and just shined Jesus! It made me attracted to that way of life. I hope to live like that without becoming legalistic or compromising evangelistic zeal.

Unknown said...

You said it yourself: It means constantly seeking the Lord's guidance. Perhaps this is the very reason there are grey areas? ;)