CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Second Home

For several months now, I've been trying to make my dorm room less like a cell and more like a home. It's been difficult to say the least, but it's finally starting to come together.

Thanks to the kindess of a friend in letting me borrow her duck tape, I was finally able to hang my painting up today!



Though it's relatively small compared to the amount of empty space on our wall, it brightens the room considerably!



There's nothing like a floral quilt to create a homey atmosphere. I love to curl up on this one and read. :)



Over Christmas break, my mom and I found this cute bookshelf at a local thrift shop for $10! It serves very nicely to hold our numerous textbooks and small collection of DVDs.



A lace prayer shawl spread atop it and a basket of silk flowers add a feminine touch that softens the room.

Though I still got a little homesick, it was easier to settle in this time and having little items of beauty and color about makes for a more pleasant atmosphere. :)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Pretty painting! Can you hang up lights in your room? When I was in college we had icicle lights up all year long. It made the room super cozy to study and just be in our room with icicle lights.

Catherine said...

That's a great idea, Jennifer! One of the things I dislike about our dorm room is the dingy fluorescent lighting. Icicle lights would certainly make the room more inviting. :)