CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Penitence

"O LORD of Grace,
I have been hasty and short in private prayer,
O quicken my conscience to feel this folly,
to bewail this ingratitude;
My first sin of the day leads into others,
and it is just that thou shouldst withdraw thy presence
from one who waited carelessly on thee.
Keep me at all times from robbing thee,
and from depriving my soul of thy due worship;
Let me never forget
that I have an eternal duty to love, honour and obey thee,
that thou art infinitely worthy of such;
that if I fail to glorify thee
I am guilty of infinite evil that merits infinite punishment,
for sin is the violation of an infinite obligation.
O forgive me if I have dishonoured thee,
melt my heart,
heal my backslidings, and
open an intercourse of love.
When the fire of thy compassion warms my inward man,
and the outpourings of thy Spirit fill my soul,
then I feelingly wonder at my own depravity,
and deeply abhor myself;
then thy grace is a powerful incentive to repentance,
and an irresistible motive to inward holiness.
May I never forget that thou hast my heart in thy hands.
Apply to it the merits of Christ's atoning blood whenever I sin.
Let thy mercies draw me to thyself.
Wean me from all evil, mortify me to the world,
and make me ready for my departure hence,
animated by the humiliations of penitential love.
My soul is often a chariot without wheels,
clogged and hindered in sin's miry clay;
Mount it on eagle's wings and cause it to soar upward to thyself."

This book has been such an enrichment to my quiet time. Its depth and eloquence put into words what my heart can only feel.

4 comments:

Shyla said...

Ah, I knew this was what I was reading. I just went through one of their devotions with my daughters this morning. They look forward to a day when I give them a copy of their own. It is a regular 2nd to my middle of the night prayer time.

I first bought it for my oldest son while he was away in his second year of college. He referred to as his "nurse to his soul", and it has ever been that in my heart.

Just as we look at the worked out mystery of a great artist in bringing paint to life we feel we could reach out and touch, so this book breathes life into our world of prayers.

Catherine said...

Shyla,
This book has been such a blessing to me. My parents bought copies for each of my siblings and I several years ago for Christmas.
I agree, it truly is a "nurse to the soul" and a beautiful supplement to God's Word.

Dana said...

This is a fantastic prayer! What is the book? Thank you so much for stopping by my blog yesterday - now I have been richly touched by yours this morning.

This line just made my heart hurt for God. "My first sin of the day leads into others,
and it is just that thou shouldst withdraw thy presence
from one who waited carelessly on thee."

I am so careless with my time. I am going to print and hang a copy of this poem in my house as a great reminder. Thank you again for posting it!

Blessings.

Catherine said...

Dana,
I'm so glad this poem was an encouragement to you. I am convicted every day by each new prayer I read and this book has been such a blessing to my spiritual walk.